In recent months South Africa’s leading dance label, Soul Candi, has been undergoing plenty of changes – including repositioning of business model as well as its residential address.
From a humble little record shop in Birnam, Johannesburg, to earn a remarkable spot in the top 100 music companies in the world, Soul Candi is now situated at a newly renovated penthouse in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
As one of the successful champions that has been responsible for the dance floor movement for almost two decades – which gave birth to SCIM (Soul Candi Institute of Music), the education arm that trained award-winning DJs and music producers nationwide – why the changes?
Harael Salkow, the founder of Soul Candi Records, explains:
“When reflecting on where we came from and defining our future path it became evidently clear that we came from a place where our daily focus was sharing the best artists and experiences with music fans.
“The music rights investment business, while fun and exciting, had caused us to make family of a handful of acts while turning the rest of the artist community into our competitors. In getting back to our roots, we concluded that the conflict had to go to allow us to get back to our reason for existing – celebrating the music industries finest with our loving fans.
“This means Soul Candi will no longer be investing in artist rights.”
What are other future changes?
- Soul Candi Records– There is a flood of new music being released daily, Soul Candi will continue to identify and share the best of genre content via our compilations and digital media platforms to assist our fans in finding the latest and hottest tracks and artists.
- Soul Candi Live– Having spent the past 4 years building and learning from our Spring Fiesta project, we are now ready to roll out more music festivals, sharing these amazing experiences with more fans in more cities.
- Soul Candi Institute of Music– Our partnership with Boston has allowed us to assist in the development and growth of amazing artists such as Cuebur and we look forward to assisting in the development of the future generation of stars through education and training in our schools.
- Soul Candi Fans: Over the years we have built an organic fan base through our digital and social media platforms, which was recently featured in the Top 100 music companies in the worldbased on social media community size.
- We will be investing in our community growth and engagement through these digital platforms as well as launching new initiatives to add value to our fans with incentives and experiences.
Media statement issued by: Sheree O’Brien – Splakavellis Management