MTV Base is throwing down a challenge to the youth of South Africa, in search for a brand new VJ to represent the channel.

The new VJ will host shows on MTV Base and MTV as well as interviewing stars, MC-ing events, attending international awards shows such as the VMAs, EMAs and MAMAs, walking the red carpet, and travelling the continent – all while being an ambassador for MTV Base.

If you think you have what it takes to be the new face of MTV Base, applications will open in April 2016.

Since launching 11 years ago on 22 February 2005, MTV Base has nurtured a wealth of awesome talent. The first ever African VJ on MTV Base was Sizwe Dhlomo (now a fixture on the South African entertainment scene with not one but two radio shows to his name: “Bloc Party” on 947, and 702’s “Night Talk with Gugs and Sizwe”.

The channel has also provided launch-pads for Fikile “Fix” Moeti (a respected DJ on 5FM), Tanzanian Vanessa “Vee Money” Mdee (a successful radio & TV host, songwriter and recording artist) and – most recently – Sandile Ntshingla, host of MTV Base Roundtable: Hottest Newcomers 2016 and the MTV Base Official SA Top Ten.

MTV Base has not only announced VJ search but also the departure of popular VJ Nomuzi Mabena.

Nomuzi earned her place on the channel after winning the MTV Base VJ Search in 2012, an initiative designed to find and nurture raw entertainment talent. The former communications science student went on to host numerous shows on MTV Base, representing the channel at a wide range of entertainment events from the VMAs, to the MAMA and MTV Base Golden Beats, among many others.

MTV Base – VJ Timeline:

• 2006 – Durbanite Sizwe Dhlomo makes MTV Base history as the channel’s first ever African VJ
  • 2006 – Fikile Moeti from Cape Town beats thousands of hopefuls to be appointed MTV Base’s first female VJ
  • 2007- Vanessa Mdee becomes MTV Base’s first ever Tanzanian VJ
  • 2012 – Nomuzi Mabena joins the MTV Base talent roster after winning a nationwide search for new talent
  • 2013 – Sandile Ntshingla becomes the fourth South African VJ on MTV Base.

For more information on the MTV Base VJ Search 2016 please go to www.mtvbase.com or www.mtv.co.za

About The Author

Related Posts

29 Responses

1. thidziambi

Hello out there.i go by the name thidziambi but everywhere i go they call me the general ..i am a young vibrant talented girl of 19 years old who is driven’ passionate and addicted to become the next face of MTVBASEa as i have heard that mabena she is leaving the show..and yes i can bee the one who can fill into her shoes .am not shy i cant talk properly.Infact i like the audiences ..from the venda side of my heart i would like to say this..if ever i can get that chance to show the world how talented i am ..guys trust me MTVBase it can be on fire..plz let me know when will be the auditions 0728209328

2. Zola Sholwana

Hi, My name is Zola Sholwana, an aspiring tv presenter. I would love to know about the auditions as I am currently based in Johannesburg. Please contact me on 0734464572

3. Lerato

Hey, my name is Lerato Jezile, and I would like to know how to enter the MTV vj search. I’m interested.
    0783694200

4. lusanda samantha nqakala

Good day! Mzansi I am Lusanda Nqakala young bold Xhosa lady from Cape Town Western Cape and I am interested ive been waiting for this search for a very long time please email me vntunja14@gmail.com call me 0629952693 trust me you will love me 😉

• Semy b

we all wAnna know its seems like i got wrog dates and the net isnt helping

5. ande

hai my name is Ande…21yr old female student at the Durban University of Technology…super interested in the oppotunity of becoming one of the biggest channels on tv’s next video jockey…I have a very bold personality can do anything I put my heart to.

6. busi

Hi there,when/where are the vj search auditions taking place?

7. Andisiwe

I would just like to know when the auditions will be coz we are in May now & still no update as the article says April.

8. Mbalenhle

Hello there.My name is Mbalenhle Makhoba, I’m 21 years of age,I’m female and a student at Boston.I’m interested regarding the auditions and I believe its tym nw that the world knows abt me.You can contact me on 0606688420

9. Boitumelo Kekana

Greetings,my name is Boitumelo Kekana a young vibrant braamfontein gal.I am 18 years old and currently studying at Rosebank College doing my first year in Media Studies & Journalism.I am very passionate about entertaining people and presenting.Im bubbly, dedicating an hardworking.
    Can I please get the full info about the process of the vj search auditions via the email attached below.

10. Moimana Professor

Hello,I wanna know of the procedures of vj search applications,dates,time,venue. Anyone with some info please help me out I wanna audition for the vj search

11. Kingsley

I would like to be informed for auditions for Vj search.(Details)

12. Nomzamo

super excited for the auditions I’m definitely coming. when are they though

13. Zamalwandle Nzuza

Hi My Name is Zamalwandle Nzuza I also go by the Name of Ash 22 years old and I live in Durban
    I think I have whatever it takes to be the new face of Mtv base please keep me posted

14. Zamalwandle Nzuza

Hi my name is Zamalwandle Nzuza im 22 years old and I live in durban.
    I think I have whatever it takes to be the next Mtv base VJ
    please keep me posted.

15. Senzo

Hi there Im Senzo Mabuza also known as SKYKADEY as my Dj name, I will like to know were should I apply for auditioning for Mtv Base Vj Search coz the application form can’t be found at all plz keep me posted. @0630453653.

16. Juanita Chimorne'

Hi MTV Base Vj search i have been waiting on becoming a presenter of our youth today. I might not have the experience of an presenter but i believe that if i put in my dedication and hard work we will rise up to the top. YOLO….so why not try… please keep me posted on when application are availible in CAPE TOWN.
    Thank you.

17. Thato Sobiya

Hello my name is Thato Sobiya.I’m signing up as the new presenter of MTV BASE.I’m a go getter I love challenges that’s why I’m entering the competition, I know the whole world we’ll love me and I promise to make not only the world proud but myself. I thank you

18. Bongiwe Ndlalane

Hello hello

Producers of mtv base I have a business venture idea snd i would like to present it to you .. Lets keep in touch

19. Bongani

Hello Vj please do notify me with the upcoming auditions. I believe South Africa should give the young ones a chance as well so this is a great platform.

20. herschel

Hi im Herschel Fortuin,im 18years old and i believe i have the talent to be the next best thing so if you think of giving me the opportunity you can contact me @ 0715456766

21. nthabiseng

I believe that i have good selfesteem, confidence and im not scared of people ‘s eyes I believe that one day I will be great presenter

22. Mokotelakoena Tumisang John

Hy my name is Mokotelakoena Tumisang John from Rustenburg,im really interested in taking part in the auditions,i hve a great personality.Please contact me for more info 0847405371